Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Austin! Part 3

The anesthesiologist was in my room in less than 10 minutes.
He came in rolling his own table of supplies and I tried my hardest not to search for the "needle", especially when he had to do 20 questions with me before starting. (like name, date of birth, allergies...etc)
He had me lay in the fetal position on the bed with a portion of my back hanging off the bed. It is really hard to curl in that position when you have a basketball for a stomach and painful contractions(it is the last position I wanted to be in when they came on).
Well, remember the part of the story when I mentioned I was relieved that my IV went in smoothly because people had told me that the IV hurt worst than the epidural.
#10 Well according to my anesthesiologist I happened to be the .01% that he didn't get the epidural in the first time with no complications.
The first time he tried he hit one of my vertebrae and then tried again and again until I was screaming(yes, I turned into one of those!) because the lidocain wore off.
He then would attempt about 4 more times with more lidocain, screams, and contractions.
I felt so bad that I couldn't control my own body from flinching every time he poked me and he kept apologizing too and told me he never has this much trouble, so I automatically knew something was wrong with me.
Comes to find out my vertebrae are so close together that the space in between where the epidural goes is so small that is takes extreme precision and curving my back as much as I could to make the space big enough.
So they final had me sit up in the bed, curl over my belly and hold on to Gary. And the anesthesiologist sounded a lot more confident that this time it work because I was able to hold still and curve my back enough.
#11 it didn't work- this was try #6 and I thought I probably end up delivering without an epidural.
I was choking back tears.
The nurse and doctor had concern in their eyes and Gary later said he felt so bad because there was nothing he could do.
He tried again. More lidocain shots(they start to hurt really bad when it is in the same spot) and the back is tender.
It worked!
In a matter of minutes I started feeling the warmness crawl up my legs and in about 10mins all my pain was gone.
My nurse later told me that the doctor felt so bad and was really concerned how I was doing. He even asked me before he left if we were still friends. haha
Even after all I went through for the epidural I would never considered doing it any differently next time, the contractions I felt were enough and I have no desire to feel a bowling ball going through my legs:)
It was around 11:30ish and my nurse checked me.
I was now a 4 at almost 100% effaced.
Now the rest of the time before 3pm(when things started getting exciting) consisted of talking about how our lives are about to change, watching TV, and giving phone and text updates to family.
The next time I was checked was an hour later and I was an 8.
Another hour later I was a 9.
And another hour later I was a 10 and it was time to get things moving!

To be continued...

1 comment:

jess said...

I don't know if you watch Glee, but your comment about the bowling ball made me think of the first season when Will's wife's sister made the comment about "pushing a watermelon out of your boy-howdy" :)

Oh childbirth, what a fun experience lol. Can't wait to read the rest...