Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Dear Austin,

 You are 1.
You have been in our lives for a whole year.
I can truly tell you that year went too fast.
But definitely there were days that went by too slow for the both of us.
During those hard days I would catch myself wishing for an older Austin and then I would have to sharply remind myself that I am not allowed to wish my son's days away.
So I have stopped.
 Because I am wishing for those days back!
 Your Dad and I look back at photos of you often and we love to remember how you use to be.
You were my tiny big man that shocked everyone with his muscles when you made your entrance.
That first night you made us parents we kept saying over and over again to each other as we held you,
"how did we get so lucky to get a cute one?"
That's right.
We thought you were perfect.
You still are.
 I know as I raise you I will always believe so, regardless of the mistakes you will make along the way.
(because you will make mistakes- you come from bonehead parents, sorry)
I also firmly believe that you are extremely special.
There have been numerous occasions your Dad and I have had that witnessed to us.
One occasion was recently while you and I were waiting to board a plan to Las Vegas for Christmas.
You were being your usual self.
I was trying to contain you and during that time noticed a woman crying behind us.
I swear you noticed too and you captured that woman's eyes with your infectious smile that she couldn't resist interacting with you.
You continued to flirt with her as she wiped her tears away and smiled back.
I gave her smile and in that moment I had overwhelming feeling come over me.
 Austin, you were born to make others smile regardless of who it is and whether you know what they are going through.
At that moment I knew that was a huge purpose Heavenly Father put you in my life.
(besides that fact I was lacking in patience)
Your Dad blessed you to be a friend to everyone and to have a tender heart for others.
It's amazing that just at such a young age you already are completing that assignment.
 We have many hopes and dreams for you Austin,
bu one thing we hope above all is for you to know you are loved.
 Dad and I love you unconditionally, even during those moments you have doubts(like when we won't give you any more chocolate). We will always be there for you to help navigate this life.
We especially want you to know that Heavenly Father and Jesus love you regardless of anything you do or don't do in this life.
We thank them everyday that they entrusted us with you and we pray everyday hoping we aren't messing up too bad.
Thanks for being the first and makeing us parents!
The future siblings will be grateful for all you had to endure with us new timers.
Thank you little man most of all for letting us love you and making us a true family.

1 comment:

Nicole and Garrett said...

Carly, this was so sweet! I really loved this post.